Sardine Run update – Thursday morning

Got an email from the KZN Sharks Board at 10:19am with the latest on sardine run. Apparently rough seas are posing a problem, and that means netting of the sards will be really difficult as a result.

Here’s the statement:

First Sardine update for Thursday 23.6.2011 –

Conditions are not that good with large swells having picked up as well as ground swells coming through along the coastline.

As far as sardine activity is concerned, nettings took place yesterday with a couple of nets being taken at  Illovo, Karridene and also at Umgababa.  Today, however the conditions are not that good hindering the netters due to the big swell.  Maybe later this afternoon we could see nettings taking place of Durban which is a little more protected and the swell is not to high.

We are flying later today and will give a further update in case of any change.

Mike Anderson-Reade – Head: Operations – KZN Sharks Board


4 thoughts on “Sardine Run update – Thursday morning

  1. Each year my eldest daughter Penny and I, take our annual fishing trip to one or other place along the Natal coast. Besides loosing a ton of lead in the past, this year has been better. If we could have sold seaweed at R 50-00c per kg we could return home multimillionaires. Next year we’ll leave the rods and bring our rifles in the hope of shooting a Sardine or two! Enjoyed your informative update, waiting for my first real life sighting of the Sardine Run. 72 years have been a long time to wait! Kind regards and happy flying. Dave Shelton – Benoni.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s